I always have been inspired by light and color. It is their dynamic interplay that create beauty and interest in my visual world. I find my favorite images outdoors, either in sunlit spaces or moody shadows. I approach each canvas as a new challenge to capture this fleeting experience. All my senses are activated when doing "plein air" painting: the sounds of a nearby melodic bird or rustling trees, the warmth of the sun, or the eratic whipping of the wind.
When not able to paint outside I pull together items nearby and create a still life scene, using the same inspiration of the play of light and color. My good fortune of traveling to interesting and beautiful locations has afforded me the opportunity of photographing scenes that might be used as reference in later works. At times I have played with them as subjects for my paintings.
Primarily self-taught, I have engaged in workshops with internationally-known artists, including Charles Reid, Mel Stabin, Frank Webb, Eric Wiegardt, Judi Wagner, John Salminen, and Ted Minchin all members of the American Watercolor Society. I have taken plein-air oil workshops with noted artists Kevin Macpherson, Scott Christensen, Kenn Backhaus, Gay Faulkenberry, Gavin Brooks, Deborah Paris, Roger Dale Brown, Larry Moore, Rick McClure, John Poon, Susan Sarback, and Jim Carson. I have also attended studio workshops with Lori Putnam, Maggie Siner, Richard Oversmith, and Barbara Flowers. I have been influenced by the creative artists in my family, most importantly my father, Maurice LaReau, and currently my daughter, Susan Meredith.
I am available for private or group instruction, as well as critiques and art consultation.
I also do commissions upon request.
My studio is open by appointment.
You may see some of my works at Art Source Gallery:
|4351 The Circle At North Hills Street, Raleigh, NC 27609, (919) 787-9533
Oil Painters of America (Juried)
Chatham Arts Guild (Juried)
Women Painters of the Southeast (Juried)
Founding member of Plein Air in the Triangle (PAINTNC.org)
Fine Arts League of Cary
American Impressionists Society
Moore County Arts Council
Painting North Carolina: A Visual Journey
Sampling of Showings:
- Women's Center Art Show (juried) 2005
- Pittsboro Library Plein Air Art Show 2007
- Chatham Arts Council Gallery 2007
- Governors Club Art Show 2005, 2007, 2009
- Carrboro Library Water Show, 2007
- Local Color Paint-Out Art Show (Raleigh) 2008
- Searstone Plein Air Exhibit 2008
- Carrboro Library Painting Exhibition (Juried) 2008 Alamance County Exhibition on NC Mills 2008
- Solo Show of 20 works at Bean and Barrel, Chapel Hill 2008
- Holly Springs PAINTNC show 2008
- Small Treasures Art Show (Juried), Cary Gallery of Art 2009
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2009
- For Garden's Sake PAINTNC exhibit, Apex 2009
- Sertoma Arts Center PAINTNC exhibit, Raleigh 2009
- Fine Arts Festival Moore County 2009: (Winner of 2nd place cash award in oil category)
- Natural Selections Exhibit Photographic Show, (Juried) Town of Chapel Hill 2010
- Member of Cary Gallery of Artists (Juried)
- Fine Art League of Cary Members' Show 2010
- Moore County Arts Council Annual Show 2011
- Moore County Arts Council Artists Showcase (Jane Casnellie and Friends) (Juried) 2011
- Chatham Arts Guild (Juried) 2011
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2011, Winner of the Margaret A Sophie honor award.
- Women Painters of the Southeast Annual Show (Juried) 2012, Jacksonville, FL
- Chambers Arts "That Which I Love" (Juried), 2012, Cary, NC (Winner of Emerge Fine Art Gallery Award)
- Solo show: NC Craft Gallery, (22 paintings) Carrboro, NC (2012)
- Solo show: Granary Gallery, (10 paintings) Fearrington Village, Pittsboro, NC (2012)
- Sacred Spaces Art Show, (Juried) Carrboro Library, 2012
- Holiday Treasures Show, Debra Huse Gallery, Balboa Park, CA, (Juried) 2012
- Greenville Museum of Art, Paint NC, A visual Journey, (Juried, two paintings) Feb 2013
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2013
- Solo Show: Provence Restaurant, Carrboro, 2013