I always have been inspired by light and color. It is their dynamic interplay that create beauty and interest in my visual world. I find my favorite images outdoors, either in sunlit spaces or moody shadows. I approach each canvas as a new challenge to capture this fleeting experience. All my senses are activated when doing "plein air" painting: the sounds of a nearby melodic bird or rustling trees, the warmth of the sun, or the eratic whipping of the wind.
When not able to paint outside I pull together items nearby and create a still life scene, using the same inspiration of the play of light and color. My good fortune of traveling to interesting and beautiful locations has afforded me the opportunity of photographing scenes that might be used as reference in later works. At times I have played with them as subjects for my paintings.
Primarily self-taught, I have engaged in workshops with a large number of internationally-known artists. I have been influenced by the creative artists in my family, most importantly my father, Maurice LaReau, and currently my daughter, Susan Meredith.
I am available for private or group instruction, as well as critiques and art consultation.
I also do commissions upon request.
My studio is open by appointment.
Oil Painters of America (Juried)
Chatham Arts Guild (Juried)
Women Painters of the Southeast (Juried)
Founding member of Plein Air in the Triangle (PAINTNC.org)
Fine Arts League of Cary
American Impressionists Society
Moore County Arts Council
Painting North Carolina: A Visual Journey
Sampling of Showings:
- Light and Legacy with over 60 of my paintings: Campbell House in Southern Pines, NC (Moore County Arts Council)
- Women Painters of the Southeast Annual Show, 2014, (Juried)Magnolia Gallery, Greensboro, GA, (two painting
- Solo Show: Provence Restaurant, Carrboro, 2013
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2013
- Greenville Museum of Art, Paint NC, A visual Journey, (Juried, two paintings) Feb 2013
- Holiday Treasures Show, Debra Huse Gallery, Balboa Park, CA, (Juried) 2012
- Sacred Spaces Art Show, (Juried) Carrboro Library, 2012
- Solo show: Granary Gallery, (10 paintings) Fearrington Village, Pittsboro, NC (2012)
- Solo show: NC Craft Gallery, (22 paintings) Carrboro, NC (2012)
- Chambers Arts "That Which I Love" (Juried), 2012, Cary, NC (Winner of Emerge Fine Art Gallery Award)
- Women Painters of the Southeast Annual Show (Juried) 2012, Jacksonville, FL
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2011, Winner of the Margaret A Sophie honor award.
- Chatham Arts Guild (Juried) 2011
- Moore County Arts Council Artists Showcase (Jane Casnellie and Friends) (Juried) 2011
- Moore County Arts Council Annual Show 2011
- Fine Art League of Cary Members' Show 2010
- Cary Gallery of Artists (Juried)
- Natural Selections Exhibit Photographic Show, (Juried) Town of Chapel Hill 2010
- Fine Arts Festival Moore County 2009: (Winner of 2nd place cash award in oil category)
- Sertoma Arts Center PAINTNC exhibit, Raleigh 2009
- For Garden’s Sake PAINTNC exhibit, Apex 2009
- Fine Arts League of Cary Annual Show (Juried) 2009
- Small Treasures Art Show (Juried), Cary Gallery of Art 2009
- Holly Springs Plein Air show 2008
- Solo Show of 20 works at Bean and Barrel, Chapel Hill 2008
- Carrboro Library Painting Exhibition (Juried) 2008 Alamance County Exhibition on NC Mills 2008
- Searstone Plein Air Exhibit 2008
- Local Color Paint-Out Art Show (Raleigh) 2008
- Carrboro Library Water Show, 2007
- Governors Club Art Show 2005, 2007, 2009
- Chatham Arts Council Gallery 2007
- Pittsboro Library Plein Air Art Show 2007
- Women’s Center State-wide Art Show (juried) 2005